Events are updated regularly. Email any upcoming events to be added or questions to email@example.com.
- 10/8 – 11/2 - Soulful Abundance art exhibit @ Odd Fellows Hall (Free!) drawing on diverse traditions of Harvest, Day of the Dead, All Soul’s Day and more and complimented by open installations of masks and treasure boxes created by community members. Opening Party 10/9 - 10480 Kasten St, Mendocino 937-2486
- 10/14 - Art Mini Workshop @ Odd Fellows Hall 3- 5 pm. Make a mask or a treasure box, $10 each for materials. Limited space, call 937-2486 to register- 10480 Kasten St, Mendocino.
- 10/16 - Cemetery Cleanup @ Evergreen Cemetery Mendocino 10 am- 2 pm, an annual Mexican tradition where family members and friends clean up the graveyards, decorate the graves and light candles in honor of the dead buried there. Bring tools, gloves, lunch, we'll provided a snack. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- 10/20 - Art Mini Workshop @ Odd Fellows Hall 3- 5 pm. Focus for Kids - Make a mask or a treasure box, $10 each for materials. Limited space, call 937-2486 to register - 10480 Kasten St, Mendocino.
- 10/20 - Day of the Dead Dinner benefits Project Sanctuary @ Little River Inn, Enjoy a festive multi-course traditional Mexican meal with music and entertainment by local artist Sandy Glickfeld, honoring Cammie Conlon. 6:30 pm, $35, reservations 937–5942, 7901 N. Highway One, Little River.
- 10/22 - Dia de los Muertos Sugar Skull Decorating Workshop/Party @ Caspar
Community Center 6pm. Skulls and all adornment materials available
at $10 per skull. Food and beverages available for purchase. Children welcome,
but should be accompanied by an adult. Reservations for skulls recommended
at 964-4997 or email@example.com
- 10/22 - Beginner-friendly Tango Classes @ the Weller House. Learn the steps in the Weller House’s ballroom with visiting instructors Stefan Fabry and Mitra Martin from 7 – 8 p, $15 per lesson reservations suggested 964-4415, 524 Stewart St, Fort Bragg.
- 10/22 - Barbecue Practica @ the Weller House, enjoy a Mendocino-Argentinean style barbecue, recipes from Frida Kahlo’s holiday cookbook. $15, reservations suggested 964-4415, 524 Stewart St, Fort Bragg.
- 10/23 - Tissue Flower Making Class @ the Fort Bragg Library, (Free!) 11 am -2 pm, all ages, but children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Kit includes enough to make a dozen paper marigolds for your own Day of the Dead ofrendas. 964–2020, 499 Laurel St, Fort Bragg.
- 10/24 – Caspar Community Altar will be built after the Sunday community breakfast and will be on display through November 2. (Free!) All welcome to participate. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10/24 - Movie Night @ the
Weller House featuring
“La Ofrenda: The Days of the Dead,” (1988) by Lourdes Portillo & Susana
Munoz presented with a live commentary by Loreto Rojas. Enjoy fabulous & deadly
“Frida’s Fiestas.” 5 – 7p.m. Requested donation $15 (supports native
park plants), reservations suggested 964-4415, 524 Stewart St, Fort Bragg.
- 10/24 - Beginner-friendly Tango Classes @ the Weller House. Learn the steps in the Weller House’s ballroom 7 – 9 p, $15 per lesson, reservations suggested 964-4415, 524 Stewart St, Fort Bragg.
- 10/25 – 11/2 -ALTAR TRAIL (FREE!) There are dozens of individual altars hosted by sites along the coast. Inns, stores and libraries will have ofrendas on display. Map pdf. To be on the map email email@example.com.
- 10/28 - Molé Day @ Stanford Inn. Enjoy a tortilla demo and molé tasting while you sip sangria. Also participate in sugar skull painting, coloring and face painting, all kid-friendly events. 3 – 5 p.m. $15 Suggested donation to the Humane Society. Reservations 937–5615, 44850 Comptche Ukiah Rd, Mendocino.
- 10/29 - Olé Molé 2010 @ Mendo Bistro Taste this authentic Mexican concoction, $5 from 5 – 7 pm . Also available upstairs a Day of the Dead prix fixe dinner $25. Proceeds benefit the Mendocino Coast Children’s Fund. Details & reservations 964-4974, Company Store Bldg 301 N. Main St, Fort Bragg.
- 10/30 - Mask /Photo@ Maness Photography – the Depot, 401 N Main St, Ste. 205, Fort Bragg. Make a mask and get a photo. noon – 4 p.m. $5, 962–0555.
- 10/30 - Margarita Contest @ Little River Inn. Sample margaritas mixed by the North Coast’s bartenders (professional and non-professional categories) then cast your vote for the very best. See how the people’s choice award ranks with local celebrity judges. 1 – 3 p.m. $20 Benefits the Day of the Dead Festival, reservations 937-5942, 7901 N. Highway One, Little River.
- 10/30 - Tango Marathon @ the
All classes are all levels with segregation as needed, drop-in rate: $20 per
class, $15 for Saturday Milonga Weekend pass: 7 classes,
practica & milonga $120 ($100 early bird, paid 1 week in advance).
For more info 964-4415, 524 Stewart St, Fort Bragg.
- 10/30 – 11/2 - ALTAR HALL @ the Fort Bragg Town Hall. (Free!) Learn more about the traditions of Day of the Dead at a central and public display of personal memorials. Community groups and individuals share altars or ofrendas and the memories of those they love. Saturday set up: 9 – noon. Saturday display: noon – 6. Sunday display: 10 – 6 pm. Monday display: 10 – 5 pm. Tuesday take down 10 – 6 pm. Sign up for your own altar space - Download Application - email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10/31 - Face Painting @ Lost Coast Culture Machine, 190 E. Elm St, Fort Bragg. 1-4, donations go to Arts in the Schools. 961-1600 for info.
- 10/31 - Dias de Los Muertos Fiesta @ Saint Michael's Larsen Community Hall, Fir & N. Franklin, Fort Bragg. Kids time 5:30-7 p, Whole Family 7:30-10, $8-$15. Benefits Saint Michael's & the Food Bank.
- 10/31 - Gallia Dia de los Muertos @ Gualala Art Center 4 – 7 p.m. A fantastic fiesta with a Mariachi band and the Coast Folkloric Dancers. An altar display and authentic Mexican food & drinks available for purchase.
- 11/1 - Fiesta @ Beachcomber
Motel. Come to the party before
the procession. Appetizers, sangria, music, and performance by a local
children's dance troupe 3- 5 pm $5 Reservations 964-2402, 1111 N. Main
St, Fort Bragg.
- 11/1 - CANDLELIGHT PROCESSION of REMEMBRANCE (FREE!) through downtown Fort Bragg on Monday night at dusk. In a tradition that is growing throughout the United States, we will celebrate the Day of the Dead, together in the dark with candles. Bring a picture of your departed and join us as we walk in memory of those we’ve lost. Face painting will be available. Procession will end at the Redwood Coast Senior Center for free champurrado (Mexican hot chocolate) and cookies. For info email email@example.com.
- 11/2 - Traditional Day of the Dead Mass @ St. Anthony’s Catholic Church, Mendocino 9 a.m. Catholic ritual followed by champurrado (Mexican hot chocolate) and pastries $5 donation to the church.